Proposal: Reorganization of the Project Management

Doron Fediuck dfediuck at redhat.com
Mon Mar 11 14:19:31 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----

Agree on both; feature nomination period is much needed as demonstrated
by the responses Itamar got to his mail. I'd like to see some commitment
to assist development &&|| testing the suggested feature coming from
the feature proposer.

As for roadmap, I agree as well, we should strive to have it charted
and modify as needed. The biggest obstacle with such maps is how much
the project is committed to it; when do you drop a feature which does
not align with the map and when do you modify the map for the feature.
I think this is resolvable mostly by discussions, and eventually a
much needed map will help others as well.

> [...]
> >
> >    http://www.codesimplicity.com/post/open-source-community-simplified/
> >
> > There's an extended mailing list thread on the subject:
> >
> > https://groups.google.com/d/topic/mozilla.dev.apps.bugzilla/Ug9aoykXpRc/discussion
> >
> > In brief: when you freeze, you lose non-professional developers who
> > just
> > stop working on the project until after the release. So it's
> > worthwhile
> > keeping the trunk open, and doing your feature & code freezes on a
> > release branch.
> >

> > Here's a link on the value of timeboxed feature planning and having
> > hard go/no go for features that get in or don't (especially the
> > advice
> > close to the end):
> >
> > http://www.joelonsoftware.com/items/2007/10/26.html
> >
> > In short, you prioritise features, and start working on the most
> > important ones, and then the ones that are not ready to ship by
> > feature
> > freeze get deferred to the next feature prioritisation discussion.
> >

> +1 on all of the above
>

> > General advice based on my experience with oVirt:
> > * I recommend a 6 month cadence with ~4 months feature development
> > and
> > ~2 months release preparation
> > * Ensure that documentation, release marketing and website updates
> > are
> > included in the release plan
> > * Move regular release prep to arch@ - the weekly meeting hasn't
> > been
> > effective to getting people engaged in the release process. The
> > real-time meetings will be good for the release team you've
> > proposed
> > sync up and agree on what the blocker bugs are, but you really need
> > have people reading those threads and prioritising their work to
> > align
> > with that
> > * Make regular point releases (alpha, beta 1, beta 2, RC1, whatever
> > they're called) before and after a release. I'm looking forward to
> > 3.2.1!
>
> if we have a 6 month release cycle, do you envision 1-2 point
> releases?
> e.g. 3.2.1 2 months after 3.2 and 3.2.2 2 months after that and then
> after another couple of months 3.3?
>
> > * Avoid tying oVirt releases to a specific release of an operating
> > system (be it RHEL 7 or F18). I know that F18 was a special case
> > and
> > complicated things because of significant platform changes, but we
> > still
> > need to support F17 and CentOS 6.3/4 for this release, and
> > hopefully
> > next release we'll also be adding Debian & Ubuntu support.
>
> +100 on this one.  This means that we need to make new features that
> require capabilities that are only available in specific versions of
> other components optional (not stop development on the one hand, but
> not break if underlying components have not been updated to latest

I'm afraid today we are using some tools / concepts which are distro-
specific. Still, the first step must be done in order to have ovirt
available in other distro's. One of the most common questions I got
in FOSDEM was about having a Debian packaging. So full ack from me
on this one, knowing that it will take time and efforts.