[Engine-devel] Proposed next-generation vdsm API

Anthony Liguori anthony at codemonkey.ws
Fri Dec 2 22:54:12 UTC 2011

On 12/01/2011 12:42 PM, Geert Jansen wrote:

> On 12/01/2011 07:35 PM, Adam Litke wrote:
>
>> A single-node (or standalone VDSM deployment) is a very important use case.
>> Many people are coming into the oVirt community from different perspectives.
>> The strength of the ecosystem depends, in part, on the ability of oVirt
>> components to be combined in unique ways with other software to produce
>> solutions.  The complete oVirt stack is a great thing, but not the only way to
>> use the technology.
>
> Just out of curiosity: what might those single node cases be, outside
> implementing an oVirt like solution?

ovirt-engine currently doesn't handle every possible scenario where you want to
manage more than one physical machine.  And while I'm sure total world
domination is not that far away, there's going to be a time period where there
continues to be use cases it is not suited for.

To name a few:

1) Fixed environments where a handful of systems are needed with some level of
scripting used to coordinate things.  Using a full three tier management server
would be too much for this environment.  This isn't necessarily a small
deployment, this may be a huge number of small deployments (think half a dozen
blades in the back of a retail store times 5,000).

2) Massive scale clusters.  I'm talking Top 500 scale.  There are people out
there doing this with KVM today.  They use tools like xCat and write directly
against libvirt.  But libvirt's lack of policy makes this harder than it should be.

3) Environments where virtualization is not the primary workload.  There are a
lot of cloud-like environments that are built with physical hardware only.  In
these cases, there is an existing infrastructure that does a lot of what oVirt
does.   It's easier for these environments to treat VMs as physical machines.

As much as it's important to focus on the top-down view of oVirt as a cohesive
stack, it's also important to look at each layer and make sure that each layer
stands on its own.

It's an 90/10 thing.  You need a strong node-level interface to cover that last
10% of use-cases unless you're willing to spend 90% of the effort trying to also
accommodate them.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori