[Engine-devel] short research on postgresql enums

Laszlo Hornyak lhornyak at redhat.com
Mon Dec 12 08:43:39 UTC 2011

----- Original Message -----

I did not do a test with hibernate yet, but since a postgresql enum column is read/written as character data, I believe hibernate would not see a difference between enum and varchar. On other RDBMS' these columns could be just plain varchar columns. So we can look at this as a PostfgreSQL-specific optimization.

JPA supports ordinal or name ( http://docs.oracle.com/javaee/6/api/javax/persistence/EnumType.html ). The current JDBC DAO's persist using the custom logic written into the enums. I am not sure this is portable to JPA. So if we move to JPA, we will have a choice:
- persist using ordinal - I think we would want to avoid this, since the code we have in enums and the DAO classes is to avoid this
- persist using name - in this case the column can be an enum on postgresql, which actually has the same performance as the ordinal values (and the custom DAO code), or it can be a varchar (if enum is not supported by the rdbms) and it can be plain varchar, which performs somewhat under the integers.