[Engine-devel] VM hibernation to storage domain

Jon Choate jchoate at redhat.com
Mon Dec 12 19:04:41 UTC 2011

On 12/12/2011 01:46 PM, Yaniv Kaul wrote:
> On 12/12/2011 19:22, Jon Choate wrote:
>> Is there any reason anyone can think of why we would need to specify
>> a specific storage domain for a VM to use when it hibernates?
>> Ideally we could just grab any storage domain that has space and use
>> it for hibernation (as long a we remember where we did it!).
>>
>> thoughts?
>
> Probably for the same reason we enforce all VMs disks to be on the
> same storage domain. Habit.
Eliminating this dependency would be part of the feature to allow VMs to
have their disks on multiple storage domains.
> But I also think it make sense, for the hibernation file to be in the
> same SD as the system disk. There's also a higher chance that domain
> will be online and available to the host.
> Y.
Is it possible for ovirt-engine to identify which disk is the system disk?

What should the algorithm be for determining a storage domain to
hibernate a diskless VM?

It seems like things would be simplified if we did not restrict
ourselves and could use any available storage domain regardless of
whether the vm has disks or not.