[Engine-devel] JBoss RPM vs JBoss zip file

Ronen Angluster ranglust at redhat.com
Thu Dec 29 12:48:37 UTC 2011

On 12/29/2011 12:43 PM, Itamar Heim wrote:
> On 12/28/2011 01:45 PM, Oved Ourfalli wrote:

>>> 1. Download the zip file from jboss.org and deploy it wherever the
>>> user
>>> wishes.
>>> 2. Install a specially crafted RPM that is designed&  destined to
>>> work
>>> with the ovirt-engine's RPM set of files.
>>> (This is a temporary deployment phase that will end when jboss will
>>> release their own set of RPMs)
>>>
>>> in MHO, i think that the RPM deployment should be used ONLY when
>>> installing the ovirt-engine RPMs and not
>>> when using the ovirt-engine's git repository for development.
>>> especially since deployment to the file system of the host requires
>>> root
>>> permissions and this is not something that
>>> should be a consideration when you're developing code.
>>> I think that developers should use the JBoss zip package and deploy
>>> it
>>> locally, and NOT use the ovirt-engine-jbossas RPM.
>>>
>>> opinions?
>>
>> I totally agree.
>> We can ease the process by maybe supplying a maven profile that
>> downloads it for you automatically, and make all the proper
>> configurations,
>> but I don't see a reason to use our jboss RPM in a development
>> environment.
>>
>> However, I expect developers to use the jboss offical RPM, when it
>> will be available.
>
> so you are still saying developers should use jboss from rpm, not zip
> (i agree btw).
> i don't see why jboss from rpm would be different from postgres from
> rpm, etc.
> if the distro has a packaged version - it should be used.

This can pose as a problem for developers that do not have root access,
they will not able to install the RPM(requires root access), nor deploy
the ear into place because the
permissions are set for the jboss user.
the key difference between postgresql is jboss is that postgresql has
interfaces which does not
require root (or any other specific user) access.