[Engine-devel] Beware of VM MAC address

Doron Fediuck dfediuck at redhat.com
Mon Nov 7 04:21:34 UTC 2011

Hi all,
This mail is intended to warn people from mac address issues,
and determine the best way to handle it.

When you create a new VM using the engine core, its MAC address
is being selected from a range of allowed addresses in the the DB.
(MacPoolRanges in vdc_options table).
As developers and users, you must verify the range does not conflict
in anyway with existing machines (both physical and virtual), or this
may lead to networking issues.

_So before running a VM, please make sure it will not create issues._

The default range is 00:1A:4A:16:01:51-00:1A:4A:16:01:e6, which
belongs to Qumranet and we may move to some unassigned prefix.
We'd still need a way to randomize this, to prevent colleagues on
the same network from collision.

Here's a sample on how this is documented and used in qemu-kvm:
http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/Networking#private_virtual_bridge
(look for 'Generate a MAC address').

--

/d

"This message will self destruct in the future. Or not."