[Engine-devel] Trouble building ovirt engine - exit code 137 from javac

Steve Gordon sgordon at redhat.com
Mon Nov 14 22:47:57 UTC 2011

> > $> mvn --version
>
> /usr/lib/jvm/java
> Apache Maven 2.2.1 (rNON-CANONICAL_2011-10-11_11-56_mockbuild;
> 2011-10-11 07:56:30-0400)
> Java version: 1.6.0_22
> Java home: /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.6.0-openjdk-1.6.0.0.x86_64/jre
> Default locale: en_US, platform encoding: UTF-8
> OS name: "linux" version: "3.1.0-7.fc16.x86_64" arch: "amd64" Family:
> "unix"
>
> > also can you please try running this without the 'clean' phase, i
> > want
> > to see if it is related to some kind of timeout
> >
> > mvn install -Pgwt-admin,gwt-user -DskipTests=true -X
>
> I'm running this again now, only have access to the laptop today so
> will probably be a while until I can report back :).
>
> > Livnat

This produced the same result (error). Based on Doron's suggestion earlier in the thread I decided to throw more memory at the problem. I then received a java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space error, setting MAVEN_OPTS="-XX:MaxPermSize=128m" seems to have fixed this and I have now built sucessfully. Thankyou for your suggestions!

I have added the perm gen space error tip to http://www.ovirt.org/wiki/Building_oVirt_engine#Build, more generally we probably need to consider some hints/recommendations around what kind of computing power (particularly memory) is required to successfully compile the project.

-Steve