[Engine-devel] (no subject)

Saggi Mizrahi smizrahi at redhat.com
Thu Nov 17 12:36:40 UTC 2011

On Wed 16 Nov 2011 02:48:40 PM IST, Maor wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> The Quota feature description is published under the following links:
>    http://www.ovirt.org/wiki/Features/DetailedQuota
>    http://www.ovirt.org/wiki/Features/Quota
> Notice that screens of UI mockups should be updated.
>
> Please feel free, to share your comments about it.
>
> Thank you,
> Maor

I can't see how the host is supposed to enforce and handle it. Pause
the VM? Crash it? raise ENOMEM\ENOSPC in the guest?
Also what about cases of KSM\QCow2, disk\memory overcommit.
Disk Templates.
Storage for hibernation disk.
Temporary and shared disks.
Shared disks between VMs owned by different users.
Backup snapshots (should they count in the quota? They are transient)

I also don't see how vcpu limiting is any good? I don't even know what
it means. What happens in migration between hosts with different amount
of physical CPUs?
I also don't think CPU limiting is even a thing to be managed by a
quota. There is no reason not to use 100% of the CPU if you are the
only VM active. CPU scheduling should use a priority model and not a
quota IMHO.