[Engine-devel] Announcing a proof of concept REST API for VDSM

Itamar Heim iheim at redhat.com
Wed Nov 30 13:21:07 UTC 2011

> On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 09:14:16AM +0200, Itamar Heim wrote:

>>> I haven't yet fully implemented the current vdsm API but I suspect that certain
>>> calls (like the ones you mention below) will require some extensions to what I
>>> have available currently.  The main missing piece is probably events and a nice
>>> polling API.  Another big piece of work will be to rebase onto the newly
>>> redesigned storage model.

>>> Hopefully monitorCommand will not be too bad, since vdsm should be asking
>>> libvirt for the VM details when they are needed.  Of course we'll need to be
>>> testing to make sure we aren't keeping state around.  Also, I would expect
>>> monitorCommand to 'taint' the VM in the eyes of the vdsm API (as it does for
>>> libvirt).

>>> Yep.  And we can talk later about building an API for efficient, repeated
>>> polling.  I wonder if the ovirt-engine guys could weigh in as to whether a REST
>>
>> cc-ing engine-devel...
>>
>>> interface with event polling would be acceptable to them.  It is critical that
>>> we settle on an API that can become _the_ first-class vehicle for interacting
>>> with vdsm.
>>
>> i have two points for consideration around this:
>> 1. as the api between ovirt-engine and vdsm, I had a preference for the
>> bus like nature of QMF, as it would allow multiple ovirt-engine to load
>> balance handling of messages from the queue, and multiple consumers for
>> some messages (say, history service picking up the stats in parallel to
>> engine picking them, rather than copying them from engine).
>
> I tend to agree, using a bus like QMF between ovirt-engine and vdsm is
> an inherantly more scalable network architecture, since it avoids the
> need to have a direct point-to-point connection between the engine and
> every single node, instead you can build a resilient grid by stategically
> deploying QPid brokers.
>
> As compared to REST, it is also much better at coping with async events,
> since you can have a push, rather than pull, model which VDSM just puts
> events onto the bus as they're generated, to be lazily consumed by any
> remote nodes when desired.
>
> NB, I don't mean to imply that there should not *also* be a REST API for
> the node level. A REST API has the very compelling property that it is
> trivially accessible from anything with HTTP client support, which is
> basically everything in existance today.
>
>> 2. as node level api, i think a lightweight ovirt-engine managing a
>> single node and exposing the exact same REST API and behavior of the
>> multi-node ovirt engine would be easier to cosnume for someone that
>> wants to interact with a single node same way they would interact with
>> ovirt-engine.
>
> If the REST API is well specified, you wouldn't need to necessarily have
> a lightweight ovirt-engine deployed at the node level, you could just
> have VDSM implement the same REST specification natively, as is impl
> [...]

Indeed, but an API is not just the transport, it is also behavior and
error code numbering, etc.
trying to develop two different projects trying to do the same thing
sounds like quite the overhead to me.
I prefer investing the time in making a lighter version of the engine
for a single node.
then you would also get the web admin and power user portal if you want
them.