[Engine-devel] Announcing a proof of concept REST API for VDSM

Adam Litke agl at us.ibm.com
Wed Nov 30 15:00:24 UTC 2011

On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 09:14:16AM +0200, Itamar Heim wrote:
> On 11/29/2011 11:36 PM, Adam Litke wrote:

> >>Right, that seems sensible.
> >>
> >>Did you find cases where RPC to REST resource mapping was difficult?
> >
> >I haven't yet fully implemented the current vdsm API but I suspect that certain
> >calls (like the ones you mention below) will require some extensions to what I
> >have available currently.  The main missing piece is probably events and a nice
> >polling API.  Another big piece of work will be to rebase onto the newly
> >redesigned storage model.
> >
> >>I could see something like migrate() plus migrateStatus() and
> >>migrateCancel() needing to add some kind of operational state that to the
> >>resource.  And something like monitorCommand() which has both a possible
> >>side-effect and some freefrom response...
> >
> >Hopefully monitorCommand will not be too bad, since vdsm should be asking
> >libvirt for the VM details when they are needed.  Of course we'll need to be
> >testing to make sure we aren't keeping state around.  Also, I would expect
> >monitorCommand to 'taint' the VM in the eyes of the vdsm API (as it does for
> >libvirt).

> >>Oh, I just meant this:
> >>
> >>Polling (GET /event + 404 loop)
> >>Long polling (GET + block ... can chew up a thread connection)
> >
> >Yep.  And we can talk later about building an API for efficient, repeated
> >polling.  I wonder if the ovirt-engine guys could weigh in as to whether a REST
>
> cc-ing engine-devel...
>
> >interface with event polling would be acceptable to them.  It is critical that
> >we settle on an API that can become _the_ first-class vehicle for interacting
> >with vdsm.
> >
> >Thanks!
> >

> i have two points for consideration around this:
> 1. as the api between ovirt-engine and vdsm, I had a preference for
> the bus like nature of QMF, as it would allow multiple ovirt-engine
> to load balance handling of messages from the queue, and multiple
> consumers for some messages (say, history service picking up the
> stats in parallel to engine picking them, rather than copying them
> from engine).

How easy is QMF to consume from a software development perspective?  Would it be
easy for someone to write a virsh-like tool against a QMF-based vdsm API?  Would
such a tool be able to run on multiple Linux distributions?

> single node and exposing the exact same REST API and behavior of the
> multi-node ovirt engine would be easier to cosnume for someone that
> wants to interact with a single node same way they would interact
> with ovirt-engine.

In principle an ovirt-engine-light sounds great.  Especially if we could get the
existing GUIs for free.  The main concern I have with this is the gargantuan
nature of the ovirt-engine and GUI code bases.  You want to reserve as many
system resources for the guests but it seems that ovirt-engine will consume at
least several GB of RAM and one or more CPU cores.  How would you lighten up
this JBoss stack without rewriting it in a more efficient language?  One use
case I am interested in is a single-node ovirt instance to control VMs on my
laptop.  I can spare several hundred MB of RAM at most for the management stack.

--
Adam Litke <agl at us.ibm.com>
IBM Linux Technology Center