[Engine-devel] Announcing a proof of concept REST API for VDSM

Geert Jansen gjansen at redhat.com
Wed Nov 30 22:43:00 UTC 2011

On 11/30/2011 11:00 PM, Carl Trieloff wrote:
> On 11/30/2011 10:52 AM, Adam Litke wrote:
>>> I'm not sure how hard it is technically. But for ISV's, I can tell
>> That is not a good sign.  Certainly there must be some sort of standardized and
>> well understood API transport that we can use.  We're not doing anything
>> particularly novel as far as the API is concerned

That standard is called HTTP :)

> There are a bunch of ISV's using it. Doc still lacking in some places
> but used in massive deployments.

Can you give an examples outside the FSI? And also there's a huge
difference between "using it" versus "creating an API for public
consumption on top of it".

In virtualization, all our competitors APIs are HTTP based (be it SOAP,
REST, XML-RPC...) This includes VMware, Microsoft and Citrix. I don't
know of any cloud API either that uses something else than HTTP.

AMQP may give you a nice bus interface that is helpful as an internal
building block to create a distributed application. But I do not see any
use of it outside a very small niche. Therefore i do not believe that it
is suitable as a transport for an API if that API is for public consumption.

Regards,
Geert