[Engine-devel] Floating Disks implementation in REST-API

Ori Liel oliel at redhat.com
Tue Apr 17 13:00:54 UTC 2012

>On 04/17/2012 02:27 PM, Ori Liel wrote:
>
>>> My idea for that was to introduce<force>true|false</force>  as well.
>>> Without force=true, we won't delete a disk if it's currently floating.
>>>

>> If the disk is floating it will only appear in root collection (...api/disks), and DELETE from
>> there is non-ambiguous, as there's no option to detach - so I don't see how adding 'force' there
>> helps us.
>
>Floating disks should be both in the root context, and also in the VM
>context for each VM the floating disk is attached to, right? So floating
>disks would appear 1+N_attach times in the API, once in the root
>context, and once for each VM they are attached to.

IIUC a floating disk is not associated with the VM in any way, and should
not appear in that VM's collection of disks. There's a similar feature of
activate/deactivate disk (http://www.ovirt.org/wiki/Features/HotPlug).
A deactivated disk is still associated with the VM, and should appear in
the VM's collection of disks. Perhaps this is the source of confusion.

>Regarding the root context: you are right that DELETE in the root
>context is unambiguous, and therefore we don't need "detach" or "force"
>arguments there. And because in 3.0 we didn't have a disk collection in
>the root context, backwards compatibility isn't an issue here.

correct, root context is not a problem