[Engine-devel] Floating Disks implementation in REST-API

Geert Jansen gjansen at redhat.com
Tue Apr 17 16:31:18 UTC 2012

On 04/17/2012 05:54 PM, Itamar Heim wrote:

>> If we can expose the "shared" flag though, i think the API gets more
>> natural. We can then only show the shared disks in the root context.
>>
>> Itamar, can we expose this flag, or do you consider this flag is
>> internal to the BE?
>
> we have to expose this flag for shared disk functionality. this is the
> only way via ui/api to flag the disk as shared (which only then allows
> attaching it to more than a single vm - this is explicit to avoid disk
> corruptions)

OK, understood.

Which then begs the question - why we are trying to make the setting /
unsetting of this flag implicit via the various POST and DELETE calls we
were trying to model.

Maybe we ought to just allow a user to set the shared flag:

  PUT /api/vms/{vm:id}/disks/{disk:id}
  <disk>
   <shared>true|false</shared>
  </disk>

When a disk is shared:

  - The disks shows up in the root context /api/disks.
  - You can POST this disk to another VM, making it available to that VM.
  - Detach it from a VM using DELETE.

To delete a shared disk, you need to either:

  - Unshare it first. Then DELETE.
  - DELETE it from the root context.

Regards,
Geert