[Engine-devel] RESTAPI: what is the purpose for /api/disks collection

Michael Pasternak mpastern at redhat.com
Sun Jun 10 15:30:53 UTC 2012

On 06/10/2012 05:30 PM, Omer Frenkel wrote:

> [...]

Ori, is there any special reason for /disks collection been
implemented via query rather than VdcQueryType.Search?

>>> this is available.

>>> active is not a property of a disk, but a vm-disk, as unattached
>>> floating disks has no meaning of active.
>>> so maybe its place is unders /api/vms/xxx/disks (IIRC its already
>>> there),
>>
>> it there, but also in same time it's under /api/disks (while
>> <active>true</active>),
>> so my question is how can you know if 'floating disk' is available to
>> be attach to
>> different vm?
>
> if the disk is floating, for sure it is available to be attached.

from the feature page [1] "Any virtual disk can be in a floating state - by unattaching the disk from the VM/s. ",
or "Floating disk - a disk that is not attached to any VM." from [2],

so if disk attached to vm - it's "not floating" right? if so why it appear in /disks?,
i think root collection /disks should contain only items available for common usage.
(can't see any point in showing private vm disks there (such as not-shareable && not-floating))

[1] http://www.ovirt.org/wiki/Features/FloatingDisk
[2] http://www.ovirt.org/wiki/Features/DetailedFloatingDisk,