[Engine-devel] RESTAPI: what is the purpose for /api/disks collection

Ayal Baron abaron at redhat.com
Sun Jun 10 20:49:44 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----

> > i don't think it makes sense a disk will go away to a user from
> > /disks once it was attached, etc.
>
> it's exactly the behaviour i'd like to achieve (only disks available
> for common usage shown),
> if you attached it to vm X and want detach it, go to vm/xx/disks/yy
> and detach it there,
>
> (btw if we want support showing all disks in /disks, we should have
> link
> from the disk->vm it attached to.)
>

> > why not show here all disks?
>
> the use-case is client-side filtering, in sdk i provide this
> capability where
> it's not supported by ovirt-search (such as property based filtering
> etc.),
> getting big chunk of not relevant data, is show-stopper for this
> feature.

I totally disagree here.
First of all define 'not relevant data'.
A shareable disk can be already attached to a VM so should it or should it not be shown here? (obviously it should).

Now I want to mark a disk as shareable and attach to another VM so I need to go first to the VM where it happens to currently reside, change it then go to the general collection and attach to another VM?

I have a read only disk with movies (or whatever other type of data) on it, I don't care which vm it is currently attached to, I want to move it to a different vm now, so you'd make it mandatory for me to know which VM it is now attached to?

It is so simple to do a for list in client side script that would filter according to whatever parameter user wants and the use cases vary so widely I see no reason to filter whatsoever
Even if I have thousands of disks it would be fast to iterate over, it might be more convenient if I can filter server side, but show-stopper?

> in my other email, i suggested adding search-parameter for being able
> requesting
> extended list, while the default should be reduced.

why only according to attached? why not according to other parameters? (raw/qcow2/qcow2V3 disks, disks with actual size >= 1TB, etc)