[Engine-devel] [vdsm] RFC: Writeup on VDSM-libstoragemgmt integration

Deepak C Shetty deepakcs at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Tue Jun 19 15:10:31 UTC 2012

On 06/18/2012 09:26 PM, Shu Ming wrote:
> On 2012-5-30 17:38, Deepak C Shetty wrote:
>> Hello All,
>>
>>     I have a draft write-up on the VDSM-libstoragemgmt integration.
>> I wanted to run this thru' the mailing list(s) to help tune and
>> crystallize it, before putting it on the ovirt wiki.
>> I have run this once thru Ayal and Tony, so have some of their
>> comments incorporated.
>>
>> I still have few doubts/questions, which I have posted below with
>> lines ending with '?'
>>
>> Comments / Suggestions are welcome & appreciated.
>>
>> thanx,
>> deepak
>>
>> [Ccing engine-devel and libstoragemgmt lists as this stuff is
>> relevant to them too]
>>
>> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>

>> 1) Background:
>>
>> VDSM provides high level API for node virtualization management. It
>> acts in response to the requests sent by oVirt Engine, which uses
>> VDSM to do all node virtualization related tasks, including but not
>> limited to storage management.
>>
>> libstoragemgmt aims to provide vendor agnostic API for managing
>> external storage array. It should help system administrators
>> utilizing open source solutions have a way to programmatically manage
>> their storage hardware in a vendor neutral way. It also aims to
>> facilitate management automation, ease of use and take advantage of
>> storage vendor supported features which improve storage performance
>> and space utilization.
>>
>> Home Page: http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/libstoragemgmt/
>>
>> libstoragemgmt (LSM) today supports C and python plugins for talking
>> to external storage array using SMI-S as well as native interfaces
>> (eg: netapp plugin )
>> Plan is to grow the SMI-S interface as needed over time and add more
>> vendor specific plugins for exploiting features not possible via
>> SMI-S or have better alternatives than using SMI-S.
>> For eg: Many of the copy offload features require to use vendor
>> specific commands, which justifies the need for a vendor specific
>> plugin.
>>

>> 2) Goals:
>>
>>     2a) Ability to plugin external storage array into oVirt/VDSM
>> virtualization stack, in a vendor neutral way.
>>
>>     2b) Ability to list features/capabilities and other statistical
>> info of the array
>>
>>     2c) Ability to utilize the storage array offload capabilities
>> from oVirt/VDSM.
>>

>> 3) Details:
>>
>> LSM will sit as a new repository engine in VDSM.
>> VDSM Repository Engine WIP @ http://gerrit.ovirt.org/#change,192
>>
>> Current plan is to have LSM co-exist with VDSM on the virtualization
>> nodes.
>
> Does that mean LSM will be a different daemon process than VDSM?
> Also, how about the vendor's plugin, another process in the nodes?

Pls see the LSM homepage on sourceforge.net on how LSM works. It already
has a lsmd ( daemon) which invokes the appropriate plugin based on the
URI prefix.
vendor plugins in LSM are supported in LSM as a .py module, which is
invoked based on the URI prefix, which will be vendor specific. See the
netapp vendor plugin.py in LSM source.

>> *Note : 'storage' used below is generic. It can be a file/nfs-export
>> for NAS targets and LUN/logical-drive for SAN targets.
>>
>> VDSM can use LSM and do the following...
>>     - Provision storage
>>     - Consume storage
>>
>> 3.1) Provisioning Storage using LSM
>>
>> Typically this will be done by a Storage administrator.
>>
>> oVirt/VDSM should provide storage admin the
>>     - ability to list the different storage arrays along with their
>> types (NAS/SAN), capabilities, free/used space.
>>     - ability to provision storage using any of the array
>> capabilities (eg: thin provisioned lun or new NFS export )
>>     - ability to manage the provisioned storage (eg: resize/delete
>> storage)
>>
>> Once the storage is provisioned by the storage admin, VDSM will have
>> to refresh the host(s) for them to be able to see the newly
>> provisioned storage.
>>
>> 3.1.1) Potential flows:
>>
>> Mgmt -> vdsm -> lsm: create LUN + LUN Mapping / Zoning / whatever is
>> needed to make LUN available to list of hosts passed by mgmt
>> Mgmt -> vdsm: getDeviceList (refreshes host and gets list of devices)
>>  Repeat above for all relevant hosts (depending on list passed
>> earlier, mostly relevant when extending an existing VG)
>> Mgmt -> use LUN in normal flows.
>>

>> 3.1.2) How oVirt Engine will know which LSM to use ?
>>
>> Normally the way this works today is that user can choose the host to
>> use (default today is SPM), however there are a few flows where mgmt
>> will know which host to use:
>> 1. extend storage domain (add LUN to existing VG) - Use SPM and make
>> sure *all* hosts that need access to this SD can see the new LUN
>> 2. attach new LUN to a VM which is pinned to a specific host - use
>> this host
>> 3. attach new LUN to a VM which is not pinned - use a host from the
>> cluster the VM belongs to and make sure all nodes in cluster can see
>> the new LUN
>
> So this model depend on the work of removing storage pool?

I am not sure and want the experts to comment here. I am not very clear
yet on how things will work post SPM is gone. Here its assumed SPM is
present.

> [...]
>>         -- We can create new LUNs and hand it over to anyone needed ?
>>     -- Changes needed in VDSM to work with raw LUNs, today it only
>> has support for consuming LUNs via VG/LV.
>>
>> 1 LUN/nfs-export on the array == 1 storage domain
>>     - How to represent a new vmdisk (aka vdsm volume) if its a LUN
>> provisioned using SAN target ?
>>         -- Will it be VG/LV as is done today for block domains ?
>>         -- If yes, then it will be difficult to exploit offload
>> capabilities, as they are at LUN level, not at LV level.
>>     - Each new vmdisk will be a new file on the nfs-export, assuming
>> offload capability is available at the file level, so this should
>> work for NAS targets ?
>>     - Can use the storage array for hosting multiple storage domains.
>>         -- Provision one more LUN and use it for another storage
>> domain if need be.
>>     - VDSM already supports this today, as part of block storage
>> domains for LUNs case.
>>
>> Note that we will allow user to do either one of the two options
>> above, depending on need.
>>
>> 4.2) Storage domain metadata will also include the
>> features/capabilities of the storage array as reported by LSM.
>>         - Capabilities (taken via LSM) will be stored in the domain
>> metadata during storage domain create flow.
>>         - Need changes in oVirt engine as well ( see 'oVirt Engine
>> potential changes' section below )
>>
>> 4.3) VDSM to poll LSM for array capabilities on a regular basis ?
>> Per ayal:
>>     - If we have a 'storage array' entity in oVirt Engine (see 'oVirt
>> Engine potential changes' section below ) then we can have a 'refresh
>> capabilities' button/verb.
>>     - We can periodically query the storage array.
>>     - Query LSM before running operations (sounds redundant to me,
>> but if it's cheap enough it could be simplest).
>>
>>     Probably need a combination of 1+2 (query at very low frequency -
>> 1/hour or 1/day + refresh button)
>>

>> 5) oVirt Engine potential changes - as described by ayal :
>>
>>     - We will either need a new 'storage array' entity in engine to
>> keep credentials, or, in case of storage array as storage domain,
>> just keep this info as part of the domain at engine level.
>>     - Have a 'storage array' entity in oVirt Engine to support
>> 'refresh capabilities' as a button/verb.
>>     - When user during storage provisioning, selects a LUN exported
>> from a storage array (via LSM), the oVirt Engine would know from then
>> onwards that this LUN is being served via LSM.
>>       It would then  be able to query the  capabilities of the LUN
>> and show it to the virt admin during storage consumption flow.
>>
>> 6) Potential flows:
>>     - Create snapshot flow
>>         -- VDSM will check the snapshot offload capability in the
>> domain metadata
>>         -- If available, and override is not configured, it will use
>> LSM to offload LUN/File snapshot
>
> If a LSM try to snapshot a running volume, does that mean all the IO
> activity to the volume will be blocked when the snapshot is undergoing?

If VDSM offloads the snapshot to the array ( via LSM) the array will
take care of the snapshotting.... typically i believe it will quiese the
I/O temporarily for few ms ? and take a point-in-time copy of the
LUN/File and resume the I/O... i think it will happen transparent to the
vdsm/host.