[Engine-devel] [vdsm] RFC: Writeup on VDSM-libstoragemgmt integration

Andy Grover agrover at redhat.com
Fri Jun 22 23:31:42 UTC 2012

On 06/18/2012 01:15 PM, Saggi Mizrahi wrote:
> Also, there is no mention on credentials in any part of the process.
> How does VDSM or the host get access to actually modify the storage
> array? Who holds the creds for that and how? How does the user set
> this up?

It seems to me more natural to have the oVirt-engine use libstoragemgmt
directly to allocate and export a volume on the storage array, and then
pass this info to the vdsm on the node creating the vm. This answers
Saggi's question about creds -- vdsm never needs array modification
creds, it only gets handed the params needed to connect and use the new
block device (ip, iqn, chap, lun).

Is this usage model made difficult or impossible by the current software
architecture?

Thanks -- Regards -- Andy