[Engine-devel] [backend] logger declarations

Mike Kolesnik mkolesni at redhat.com
Sun Mar 11 13:51:09 UTC 2012

> Hi,
>
> In general loggers are recommended to be private static final, also
> have the correct class. (e.g. commons logging standards from PMD
> http://pmd.sourceforge.net/rules/logging-jakarta-commons.html)
>
> In oVirt backend, very often the logger is just package protected,
> which allows classes in the same package to use it. Actually the
> classes that really use it are usualy subclasses, but what I believe
> is misleading in this case is that when reading a log, you will see
> that e.g. org.foo.Bar logged 'X', and you look into the sourcecode
> of org.foo.Bar and you do not see any code that would ever log that
> message, you will have to look for that message in all of it's
> subclasses and this will make debugging harder especially if the
> number of subclasses is high.

You are talking about category, but since our command inherit from each other then I think it's more useful to have the category determined by the actual runtime class - this way you can control the log verbosity of a specific command/flow.

However, I think this is not our biggest problem, but that the logging itself is not very good overall and it is sometimes hard to track down what causes the issues because of that.