[Engine-devel] Disk Permissions Feature

Einav Cohen ecohen at redhat.com
Mon Mar 19 08:25:24 UTC 2012

The convention today is that in order to create something, you need permissions on the ancestor entity.
Therefore, I think it should be as follows:

1. In order to create a Disk in a VM context, you need permission on the VM (just like in 3.0, IIRC).
2. In order to create a Floating Disk within a storage domain, you need permission on the storage domain
3. In order to create an External LUN Disk, you need permission on System/DC/Whatever we decide the ancestor entity of External LUN is.
4? Not sure regarding creation of External LUN Disk in a VM context (if that scenario exists) - will probably need a permission on both VM and External-LUN-ancestor, since this is a special case.

All of the above is regardless quota, meaning, if quota is enforced, quota restrictions will apply as relevant *in addition* to the permission limitations.