[Engine-devel] Forward comp[atibility of OVF

Livnat Peer lpeer at redhat.com
Thu Mar 22 09:37:05 UTC 2012

On 22/03/12 11:04, Mike Kolesnik wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wanted to know if we want to support forward compatibility of OVF
> format, which is used for export/import of VMs/VM Templates.
>
> For example,
> I create a VM in a 3.1 system, export it to an export Domain.
> Should I be able to import this VM on a 3.0 system?

I think we should support only backwards compatibility no need for
forward compatibility.
The question is should we block importing such a VM (that it's version
is not something the engine identifies) I think we should block it
otherwise the engine will import the VM which can fail sometimes with
errors like NullPointerException which will end-up being filed as a BZ.