[Engine-devel] Getting rid of PowerMock?

Moti Asayag masayag at redhat.com
Wed Mar 28 08:55:35 UTC 2012

On 03/27/2012 07:33 PM, Yair Zaslavsky wrote:
> Hi all,
> As (almost) all of us can see,
> Running BLL tests both takes considerable time, and also we have to take
> class loading dependencies between classes with static methods when we
> use mockStatic - IMHO, this is kinda frustrating.
> Maybe we should start get rid of  PowerMock.
> Here is what I'm thinking of -
> Currently, as we use no IoC for DAOs , for tested class we do not use
> DbFacade.getInstance().getXXXDao()
>
> instead we define:
>
> protected XXXDao getXXXDao() {
>   return DBFacade.getInstance().getXXXDao();
> }

+1 for this. IMO all DAOs should be reachable from the CommandBase as
this is a repeated code scattered in the various commands.

I'd suggest to create an interface that declares all of available DAOs.
The new interface should be implemented by both DbFacade (which already
contains that implementation) and CommandBase to assure new DAOs added
to DbFacade will be added to the CommandBase as well.

> And then in our tests we use Mockito to define how getXXDao acts in the
> test.
>
> The following can be achieved also for config values , the following way -
>
> protected <T> T getConfig(ConfigValues key) {
>         return Config.<T> GetValue(key);
>     }
>
> And then in code (for example, in a query test) -
>
>  doReturn(5).when(query).<Integer>
> getConfig(any(ConfigValues.SomeIntegerConstant));
>

> This effort can be done in small steps -
> a. Define getConfig method in base classes (i.e AuditLoggalbeBase).
> b. Rewrite parts (i.e Commands, and their tests) step by step (small
> commits)
>
> Thoughts and ideas are more than welcome,

Searching for the static mocked classes brought the following list:

      1 AuditLogDirector.class
      1 CommandsFactory.class
      1 FileUtil.class
      1 LoggerFactory.class
      1 QuotaHelper.class
      1 QuotaManager.class
      1 SchedulerUtilQuartzImpl.class
      1 StopVdsCommand.class
      1 TransactionSupport.class
      1 VmTemplateCommand.class
      2 CpuFlagsManagerHandler.class
      2 StorageDomainSpaceChecker.class
      2 VdsGroupDAO.class
      3 EjbUtils.class
      3 LogFactory.class
      3 MultiLevelAdministrationHandler.class
      3 StorageHelperDirector.class
      3 VmTemplateHandler.class
      6 ImagesHandler.class
      6 VmHandler.class
     10 Backend.class
     28 Config.class
     33 DbFacade.class

So handling the Config and DbFacade will be a major step toward
powermock elimination.
(list retrieved by running the next command from ovirt-engine head: find
. -name "*Test.java" -exec grep -r "@PrepareForTest" {} \; | tr "{)}" "
" | cut -d \(  -f2 | tr "," "\n" | tr -d " " | sort | uniq -c | sort -n)