[Engine-devel] Reloadable Configuration - Wiki Page

Doron Fediuck dfediuck at redhat.com
Thu Mar 29 09:59:33 UTC 2012

On 29/03/12 10:54, Itamar Heim wrote:
> On 03/29/2012 10:05 AM, Muli Salem wrote:
>> Thanks for the comments, I updated the wiki page accordingly:
>> http://www.ovirt.org/wiki/Features/ReloadableConfiguration
>>
>> 1. Instead of the new DB column is_reloadable -->  Annotation to ConfigValues.
>> 2. Found a way to update the Quartz jobs, at least basic issues such as interval size.
>> 3. The values will be reloaded upon admin's decision to do so - with a new command in the engine-config CLI, since that is where admins make the changes.
>
> just wondering - how will the CLI do this at the technical level (via REST API? signal to service, etc.)?

Basically we need a script using the REST sdk to trigger re-configuration
This script will need the engine's IP so it'll know where to find it.
The thing is, REST also needs the admin's user and password to run...

We can get it in 2 options:

1. Store Admin's user+pass in the engine's conf file.
2. Use engine-config to fetch the credentials.

Once we have credentials, we can use it with a new script to trigger configuration reload.
We can also incorporate this script into engine-config so admin won't need to know another
script, and simply use a 'reload' verb.

I'm not keen on storing the credentials in a conf' file, but (unfortunately) it wouldn't
be a first time. Any better alternative is welcome (just as patches ;-).

A simple alternative to the whole credentials and IP need,
is a simple periodic reload, as suggested initially.

/d