[Engine-devel] [Design for 3.2 RFE] Improving proxy selection algorithm for Power Management operations

Itamar Heim iheim at redhat.com
Thu Nov 8 15:25:48 UTC 2012

On 11/07/2012 08:43 PM, Eli Mesika wrote:
> Hi
>
> Please review , any comments are welcomed
>
> Requirements : http://wiki.ovirt.org/wiki/Features/HostPMProxyPreferences
> Detailed Design : http://wiki.ovirt.org/wiki/Features/Design/DetailedHostPMProxyPreferences
>
> DR for this RFE will be next week, exact schedule & place will follow.

1. what's the logic on deciding to move to next proxy ? is it per action
(restart being comprised of stop and start. can the stop and start
happen from different proxies)?

2. I'm guessing for 'engine' as proxy, vdsm will be installed with
engine on same host.

is the plan to teat it as a separate instance of vdsm, listening on a
separate port, or to assume an all-in-one deployment always?
if it is added as a host, just for fencing, it requires special
treatment for that host. while if added as a separate instance (on a
different tcp port), it doesn't have to be defined as a host in the system.

iirc, we can install vdsm, and launch multiple instances of it (at least
we could in the past).

3. i didn't understand the fqdn/ip proxy mode, if it is not an existing
host in the system, how will engine communicate with it over secure
xml/rpc? (i can understand selecting a specific host, but not a text box
for fqdn/ip).

thanks,
    Itamar