[Engine-devel] [Design for 3.2 RFE] Improving proxy selection algorithm for Power Management operations

Eli Mesika emesika at redhat.com
Thu Nov 8 16:09:05 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----

Yes, it is per action so stop & start may use different proxies.

> 2. I'm guessing for 'engine' as proxy, vdsm will be installed with
> engine on same host.
>
> is the plan to teat it as a separate instance of vdsm, listening on a
> separate port, or to assume an all-in-one deployment always?
> if it is added as a host, just for fencing, it requires special
> treatment for that host. while if added as a separate instance (on a
> different tcp port), it doesn't have to be defined as a host in the
> system.
>
> iirc, we can install vdsm, and launch multiple instances of it (at
> least
> we could in the past).

we have 3 options here
1) VDSM instance
2) Lightweight VDSM (with only PM abilities)
3) Accessing the fenece-agents package scripts directly

I have talked with danken , he think we should apply 3)

> 3. i didn't understand the fqdn/ip proxy mode, if it is not an
> existing
> host in the system, how will engine communicate with it over secure
> xml/rpc? (i can understand selecting a specific host, but not a text
> box
> for fqdn/ip).

Good point, I will change the design accordingly