[Engine-devel] Network Wiring

Itamar Heim iheim at redhat.com
Thu Nov 15 03:57:43 UTC 2012

On 11/13/2012 04:46 PM, Alona Kaplan wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Please review the wiki and add your comments.
>
> http://wiki.ovirt.org/wiki/Feature/NetworkWiring

 >     Dialog
 >
 >         If the VM status is 'UP'
 >
 >             If the Vnic is plugged there should be a message on top
of the dialog "Please notice, changing Type or MAC will cause unplugging
and plugging the Vnic".
 >             Port Mirroring - If the Vnic is plugged and the Vnic is
set for port mirroring - "network", "type", "mac" and "port mirroring"
fields in the dialog will be disabled.

can user change the type if port mirroring isn't enabled? doesn't this
require unplug/plug back?
I assume all validations are at engine side to cover rest api as well?

 > REST API
 >
 > NIC properties:
 >
 > Changes:
 >
 >     Adding new properties under VM NIC:
 >
 >         plugged
 >         wired
 >
 >     Deprecating the active property under VM NIC
 >     Deprecating activate/deactivate actions
 >     Plug/unplug and wire/unwire on a vnic, will be done via PUT
action on the VM NIC
 >         /api/vms/xxx/nics/yyy/

that's a lot of deprecation - you can mark them as deprecated, but they
still need to work over a period of time for backward compatibility, so
please explain what they will show/how they behave until they are
deprecated.

 > There is no reason to have dedicated actions for plug/unplug or
wire/unwire. The original reason for having them was that edit VM nic
while the VM was up used to be blocked and now we'll enable doing these
actions.

actually, some users may not want to make these config changes while the
VM is live, just to make them for the next boot. how will that work?

i agree with other comments that 'wired' is a bit confusing.
s/wired-unwired/connected-disconnected/?