[Engine-devel] Network Wiring

Livnat Peer lpeer at redhat.com
Thu Nov 15 11:13:42 UTC 2012

On 15/11/12 05:57, Itamar Heim wrote:
> On 11/13/2012 04:46 PM, Alona Kaplan wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Please review the wiki and add your comments.
>>
>> http://wiki.ovirt.org/wiki/Feature/NetworkWiring
>
>>     Dialog
>>
>>         If the VM status is 'UP'
>>
>>             If the Vnic is plugged there should be a message on top of
> the dialog "Please notice, changing Type or MAC will cause unplugging
> and plugging the Vnic".
>>             Port Mirroring - If the Vnic is plugged and the Vnic is
> set for port mirroring - "network", "type", "mac" and "port mirroring"
> fields in the dialog will be disabled.
>
> can user change the type if port mirroring isn't enabled? doesn't this
> require unplug/plug back?

It does (see the first message written in the paragraph you copied, "if
changing type or MAC unplug and plug of the device is performed.") and
that's the action the engine will trigger.

> I assume all validations are at engine side to cover rest api as well?

of course

>> REST API
>>
>> NIC properties:
>>
>> Changes:
>>
>>     Adding new properties under VM NIC:
>>
>>         plugged
>>         wired
>>
>>     Deprecating the active property under VM NIC
>>     Deprecating activate/deactivate actions
>>     Plug/unplug and wire/unwire on a vnic, will be done via PUT action
> on the VM NIC
>>         /api/vms/xxx/nics/yyy/
>>

> that's a lot of deprecation - you can mark them as deprecated, but they
> still need to work over a period of time for backward compatibility, so
> please explain what they will show/how they behave until they are
> deprecated.

Same as today, they will perform plug and unplug , in the API you'll be
able to plug/unplug in two ways the deprecated one (use action) or via
edit vNic. the active property will be there as well, it will show the
same value a the plugged property.

>> There is no reason to have dedicated actions for plug/unplug or
> wire/unwire. The original reason for having them was that edit VM nic
> while the VM was up used to be blocked and now we'll enable doing these
> actions.
>
> actually, some users may not want to make these config changes while the
> VM is live, just to make them for the next boot. how will that work?

Well as long as we don't have separation for configuration and running
configuration it won't work. (same as changing the CPU or memory for
next VM run)