[Engine-devel] Managing permissions on network

Livnat Peer lpeer at redhat.com
Mon Nov 19 21:22:06 UTC 2012

On 16/11/12 12:06, Itamar Heim wrote:
> On 11/16/2012 10:22 AM, Moti Asayag wrote:

>>> I think a user should be able to see network for networks associated to
>>> their VMs, regardless of permissions to the attach the network to other
>>> vms.
>>> it doesn't mean they need to see all details (like statistics, which are
>>> not part of the user level api)
>>> I'm pretty sure storage, cluster and dc follow the same concept in user
>>> level api.
>>>

>> Could you elaborate the importance from user perspective for the network
>> implementation details? why the user should be concerned with MTU, Vlan
>> and other network properties? Wouldn't the cloud-provider prefer to
>> encapsulate this information from the end-user ?
>
> i do agree not all fields are relevant to user, and iirc, we have a
> mechanism to filter out such fields.
> is the MTU of the logical network a secret? user will get it from the
> vnic anyway, right?
> logical network name is also something user may need to know (what is
> user going to see in the power user portal when standing on a VM which
> has a vnic with a network they don't have a permission for? the uuid
> instead of the network name?
> tomorrow will let user create virtual networks. you need to decide which
> fields they can and cannot set (vlan they cannot set. not sure if we
> should or shouldn't hide it. i'm guessing both use cases will have merit
> actually).

With the above approach, what will the user see if he go to the network
main collection (/api/networks) in the user API?

Today you don't get any network info in the user API (I think - need to
make sure), with the approach Moti suggested you see all the networks
you have permissions on, but with the approach you suggested it seems
like the user will be able to see all networks, for those he has
permissions on he'll get all the details and for those he has no
permissions he'll get limited amount of info like (name, description,
MTU, usage). Do we want the user to be aware of all the networks defined
in our DC?

Livnat