[Engine-devel] UI plugins crash course part two (for plugin developers)

Dave Neary dneary at redhat.com
Fri Nov 23 07:37:24 UTC 2012

Hi,

On 11/22/2012 05:53 PM, Vojtech Szocs wrote:
> this is excellent idea! It's definitely easier (and more fun) for others to follow "crash course" tutorials than just reading wiki docs :)

I think so too.

> (I've used the "Level" metaphor to give readers the feeling that they're progressing from beginner to advanced topics, as they make their way through UI plugin development.)

I noticed! And I like it :-)

> I can certainly dedicate some time to writing such tutorial series. What would be the best way to start?

with Level 1, I suppose...

One thing I would like is to have something you can do to validate that
you've understood a level before you move on (like the bad guy that you
have to beat to complete levels in video games). It could be something
as straightforward as a "Compilation successful" message, or a "Test
passed" on a unit test, or a screenshot of "here's what you should have
now" - something to let the reader know when they're only a little off
the path, and how to get back onto it.

I think that the wiki or website could be fine - it's just a web page
after all - what's important is the promotion of the series in the right
places, and making it look nice, and like a series of articles rather
than one big wiki page.

Thanks again! It looks great so far.

Cheers,
Dave.

--
Dave Neary - Community Action and Impact
Ph: +33 9 50 71 55 62 / Cell: +33 6 77 01 92 13