[Engine-devel] network subnet

Livnat Peer lpeer at redhat.com
Tue Sep 11 06:21:31 UTC 2012

On 30/08/12 23:11, Alon Bar-Lev wrote:

> [...]

Generally I agree with what you wrote.

I would like to open for discussion the definition mentioned above that
a logical network is a layer 2 broadcast domain.

We have 2 types of logical networks, VM networks and 'other' (host
functionality?) networks.

When talking about VM networks, I think the definition above is
accurate, the guests using the network should get a layer 2 broadcast
domain.
It can be implemented over a single (physical) layer 2 domain or it can
be implemented over multiple (physical) layer 2 domains using
technologies like tunneling or vxlan.

When talking about other networks like storage, display, migration,
etc. we are actually discussing a network which represent a common
functionality the hosts are using but I am not sure guaranteeing a layer
2 broadcast domain is interesting for such network.

Going forward I expect we'll associate layer 3 services with logical
networks. For example DHCP, DNS, LB etc.

Any thoughts/comments on the above are welcomed.

Thanks, Livnat