[Engine-devel] Fixed -Xmx could kill your JVM

Alon Bar-Lev alonbl at redhat.com
Wed Sep 12 13:06:43 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----

<snip>

> Worst case we can change the defaults for ENGINE_HEAP_MIN and
> ENGINE_HEAP_MAX to get that behavior, for example:
>
> ENGINE_HEAP_MIN=128m
> ENGINE_HEAP_MAX=1g
>
> I am open to do that change, specially if you show me hard data
> proving
> that it is better for performance ;-) .

We are talking about virtual memory, allocation of the heap is done as reserved, so there is no real impact on the system if memory is unused. When a reserved page is actually used it is committed.

Unless there is a system with small page file, there is no real reason to use lower values in HEAP_MIN.

Alon.