[Engine-devel] [RFC] new power management protocol "libvirtp"

Shu Ming shuming at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Wed Apr 3 02:56:15 UTC 2013

Dan Kenigsberg:
> On Tue, Apr 02, 2013 at 10:15:44AM +0800, Shu Ming wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> In oVirt environment, power manager should be enabled for the host to
>> support VM high availability in the cluster. Various kinds of
>> physical power management protocol are supported, ie., ALOM, ILO&etc.
>> However, when the oVirt is running on a nested KVM
>> environment, there is no feasible way to do the power management of the
>> VDSM host(also a KVM virtual machine). A new protocol
>> will be based on libvirt to achieve the power management of a virtual
>> host. The new protocol can be named as "libvirtp".
>>
>> In oVirt engine, a new type will be added to
>>
>> power management---> type libvirtp
>> power management--->address it will be the IP of the physical host where
>> the virtual VDSM host is on when "libvirtp" is selected
>> power management--->user name it will be the user name to the libvirtd
>> service
>> power management--->password it will be the password to the libvirtd service
>> power management--->port it will be the port to the libvirtd service
> Have you looked into fence_virsh or fence_virt ? Don't they provide
> what you want?

Thanks for your reminder. I think fence_virsh or fence_virt can be
leveraged to achieve the goal..
For fence_virsh, it requires virsh to be installed on the vdsm virtual
host. For fence_virt, it requires
fence_virtd to be installed on the vdsm virtual host and it is not
libvirt centric. With these two
power management protocol, the oVirt engine still need change to
integrate these two protocols for
the host power management.

--
---