[Engine-devel] Cloud-Init integration

Itamar Heim iheim at redhat.com
Sat Apr 20 20:52:51 UTC 2013

On 03/29/2013 01:35 AM, Greg Padgett wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I'd like to propose a feature we've been doing some investigation into,
> which is to integrate cloud-init support into oVirt.
>
> Cloud-init is used to help provision new Linux systems by setting the
> hostname, ip, ssh keys, timezone, injecting files, and more.  It's used
> by OpenStack (amongst others) now, and has a lot of features that may be
> helpful to our users.
>
> Details are still evolving, but for more info please see the wiki page:
>
> http://www.ovirt.org/Features/Cloud-Init_Integration
>
> All feedback is welcome!

a few questions:
- are you planning to save the info in the db by field, or as a single
   "blob"? maybe a better questions is are you going to persist it at
   all?
- i'd be careful before passing any passwords (page mentions root
   password) - you'd need to not persist it unecrypted, identify it and
   clean it from all logs, etc.
- hostname - should just assume the vm name?
- timezone - is that different than the windows one? for a windows
   guest as well?

Thanks,
    Itamar