[Engine-devel] Design wiki page for trusted compute pools integration with oVirt has been updated

Chen, Wei D wei.d.chen at intel.com
Sat Apr 27 06:36:44 UTC 2013

Hi,

Our current consideration is add a new thread in engine's side to attest all of hosts (aggregated query from attestation sever) one time in case of engine's rebooting. There is still one potential issue under extreme condition, saying, hundreds of nodes in a datacenter, attest all of hosts still may take couple of mins, let's say, one hacked untrusted node before receiving the latest status may considered as a trusted host, so, the worst case in a datacenter with hundreds of nodes is,
1. engine is down for some reasons and boot up again, some trusted nodes may be hacked and rebooted during this period.
2. our thread is running to get all of node's status (trust /untrusted), may take couple of mins in large datacenter.
2. user create VMs on these hacked nodes and believe these VMs are trusted VMs launched on trusted nodes.
3. our thread get the correct status of these untrusted nodes, set these nodes as non-operational.
4. all of these "trusted" VMs running on these untrusted nodes are expected to migrate to other trusted node.

So, the question is in a trusted cluster with hundreds of nodes some VMs expected to create on trusted nodes may actually create on untrusted nodes instead, and this time may last for couple of mins. (worst case in my view is 10 mins with 1000 nodes).
Does this acceptable from your point of view? Or any other suggestion?

Best Regards,
Dave Chen