[Engine-devel] REST API calls from the GUI

Libor Spevak lspevak at redhat.com
Tue Feb 12 16:13:45 UTC 2013

Hi,

I would like to ask, if there have been discussions about an option to
call REST API services directly from the Frontend (GWT layer)? GWT
compiles Java frontend-side to Javascript, calls to backend services are
performed "transparently" by the framework using AJAX support. But,
there is still a need to have a special set of data objects and the
server-side logic can duplicate.

Java REST API SDK enables to build "thick" client. The calls are
realized using e.g. Apache HttClient and supported libraries. I think
the requirements of GWT can be a little bit different, but something
overlaps.

I found several links about REST API support from GWT, so there is
something for inspiration...

- http://www.spiffyui.org/
- http://www.zackgrossbart.com/hackito/gwt-rest/
- http://code.google.com/p/gwt-rest/
- http://restygwt.fusesource.org/

But, do you think it would be useful and what drawbacks can occur
(authentication, authorization, response times, need to support larger
set of services, painful refactoring, ...)?

Regards,
Libor