[Engine-devel] Changing Gerrit -1 message

Doron Fediuck dfediuck at redhat.com
Mon Feb 25 17:04:14 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----

Seems that we're in agreement on this one....

> >> Sounds great.

> > I prefer -2 : Do not submit!
> >
> > IMHO:
> > -1 should be used whenever the code is OK but can be done better or
> > has a missing part (tests for example)
> > -2 should be used when the code does not work, has a serious bug
> > (possible NPE for example) , break the build
>
> +1 for the -2 which to my opinion should indicate any serious flaw in
> the design, even post the design discussion. I think that this should
> follow with a discussion on engine-devel about the required change in
> the design instead of debating over the gerrit since it is not
> transparent enough.

-2 should be given on rare occasions, as it is so blunt and meaningful.
Remember that -1 is good enough to block a patch.
So if you see an issue which may be fixed, give it -1.

If you see something which is illegal (violate project license) or
contradicts the project foundations, give it -2. This is how rare -2
should be.

In this view I'd rephrase "-2" to: "This patch can not be accepted".
Obviously this should be followed by a detailed explanation by the reviewer.