[Engine-devel] VNIC profiles

Malini Rao mrao at redhat.com
Mon Jul 1 18:22:57 UTC 2013

Hi Livnat,

My name is Malini Rao and I am the lead interaction designer dedicated to RHEV/Ovirt UX from Red Hat and we have another interaction designer Eldan Hildeshiem who is also focused on RHEV UX. I went over your feature page and in general, the GUI proposals look great. I do have some quick feedback comments -

Will there be any predefined profiles available to the users out of the box in RHEV? Or will they have to define their own? I am wondering if there are any common standard QoS levels that can be predefined and the users can get a heeadstart and use or tweak instead of defining from scratch.

VNIC level QoS dialog

1. Will the Outbound and inbound values come with some defaults? Or will they be empty? Is there a need for any spinners or drop downs for frequently used values or is it ok to just have fields to type in the numeric values? Also I am assuming there is some kind of validation to ensure only numbers an be entered in these fields.

2. For custom properties, why do we have a drop down? Can custom properties defined elsewhere be accessed here and applied? If not, then I am assuming this will have to be a text field. Correct? Also, I am guessing if there is only one custom property field, the [-] icon will be disabled.

Edit Network Interface Dialog
1. It will be awesome if under the Profile Field value, you can present a short summary of the profile in gray text. alternately, there can be a little info icon which will present this info on hover. This will help people who pick Gold know what that means vs silver or any other profile.

Besides these specific feedback, I am wondering if any of the VM dialogs are affected by this? Will a VNIC profile field now show up on those dialogs as well?

I see you have identified a bunch of open issues to work out and we will be more than happy to help you with the GUI for these flows as needed. Please feel free to reach out to Eldan and me and we can post back to the group with our work.

Thanks
Malini