[Engine-devel] [ANN] VM's OS info in ovirt engine

Roy Golan rgolan at redhat.com
Tue Jul 2 07:14:21 UTC 2013

Hi all,

Recently I merged the os info [1] patches. Its main responsibility is to
make our OS-bounded configuration file-based
rather than combination of hard-coded enum (VmOsType) and db config values.

What is there to configure?

* available OS types - what you see in the drop-down selection for the os
    e.g os.RHEL6.name = Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6

* recommended min/max memory per os
   os.Unassigned.resources.maximum.ram.value = 64000

* supported network devices - this will actually set the drop-down of
nic types in new Interface dialog
   os.Windows7.devices.network.value =  rtl8139_pv, rtl8139, e1000, pv

* compat version values
   os.Fedora12.devices.audio.value = ich6
   os.Fedora12.devices.audio.value.3.2 = ac97

* inheritance - DRY :)
   os.RHEL5.derivedFrom.value = RHEL4
   os.RHEL4.family = linux

* cpu Arch - currently we support only x86 but this will come handy for
supporting powerPC arch or arm etc after cross-matching with the cluster
arch.
   os.Other.cpuArchetecture.value = x86

The file is located at
/etc/ovirt-engine/osinfo.conf.d/00-osinfo-defaults.properties and is
symlinked to /usr/share/ovirt-engine/conf/osinfo-defaults.properties
If you want to overide the values or just add your setup more OSs just
add 10-osinfo.properties under osinfo.conf.d

Bare in mind, If you ever have to add logic against OSs pls don't add it
to vdc_options. Use the osinfo instead. Cleanups from
ConfigValues and vdc_options will soon follow as well as treatment for
custom icon images for OSs.

Thanks,
Roy

[1]  http://www.ovirt.org/OS_info