[Engine-devel] VNIC profiles

Livnat Peer lpeer at redhat.com
Thu Jul 4 06:02:48 UTC 2013

On 07/03/2013 07:42 PM, Malini Rao wrote:
> [...]

correct x2

>> **This is not accurate, the user would be able to check all relevant
>> VNIC-QoS-entities and for each one we need to create a profile.
>
> So there are two concepts here - VNIC-QoS-entities and VNIC Profiles?

correct again :)

>>> I am wondering if there are any common standard QoS levels that can be
>>> predefined and the users can get a heeadstart and use or tweak instead of
>>> defining from scratch.
>>
>> That's a very good point.
>> The wiki page is not fully up to date, I think.
>> Ofri wanted to add an entity of VNIC QoS which would be linked from
>> within the VNIC profile.
>>
>> The VNIC QoS entity is located in the entities hierarchy under Data Center.
>>
>> The point you made, I think, is will we have predefined VNIC QoS entities.
>>
>> The Qos entity is tight to the hardware you have in your DC. If you have
>> 10G or 1G Ethernet links the QoS entities would look very different, so
>> I'm not sure what predefined values would look like.
>
> So are you saying that we can have pre-defined VNIC Qos Entities like Gold, silver etc.

I am saying it is something that Ofri should consider, although I
personally don't think there is an added value in having a pre-defined
VNIC Qos.

> but not VNIC profiles because what is gold for a 10G Ehternet is different from gold for a 1G Ethernet?

VNIC profile is associated with a specific Network, so technically we
can't have pre-defined profiles as we don't have predefined Networks.
Well, we do have the management network (which is predefined) and for
that we do need to create a predefined profile - Thanks.

This point out another behavior we should document, when removing the
VM-network role from a network we need to remove the profiles associated
with that network. (Moti, can you capture this in the VNIC profile wiki
as well)

> But even if they are different, can the VNIC profiles not also be auto generated based on the Hardware and the VNIC Qos Entities?

I lost you here, can you please elaborate.