[Engine-devel] Network Quality of Service 3.3 - Feature design

Ofri Masad omasad at redhat.com
Sun Jun 2 08:24:58 UTC 2013

Hi,
answers inline

Thanks,
Ofri

----- Original Message -----

Exactly. first part is the network level limitation.

> 2. "Only a user permitted to edit the network may edit the QoS
> properties in the network dialog or override the QoS properties in the
> VNIC dialog. "
>
> why would a network operator (having permissions on networks) have
> permissions on specific VM's vnic's?
> probably a special permission to edit network QoS at vm level is needed?

True. we will limit the VNIC QoS editing to a user which holds both UserVmManager and NetworkAdmin permissions.
This also the case for editing port mirroring for vnic.

> 3. "outbound_burst 	Bigint "
> just wondering - what numbers do you expect here that Integer like the
> average and peak is not enough?

the units for the "burst" parameter are Mb (Mega bits). so, if we would like to allow burst of over 4GB (Giga byte) we will need Bigint.

> 4. "Old libvirt versions that have the global driver lock may have
> performance problems. It would be nice to check what version of libvirt
> is this going to run on"
>
> old versions but 1.0.1 is required, does 1.0.1 have this issue?

No. ver 1.0.1 does not have that problem. this sentence was left there by mistake and will be removed.

> 5. behavior with provider networks (quantum)?

Traffic shaping using the Network QoS feature will be available only for oVirt networks at this stage.