[Engine-devel] static header only in VM dialog?

Tomas Jelinek tjelinek at redhat.com
Mon Jun 3 07:24:48 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Einav Cohen" <ecohen at redhat.com>
> To: "Itamar Heim" <iheim at redhat.com>, "Tomas Jelinek" <tjelinek at redhat.com>

- Data Center
- Cluster
- Quota
- Template (because according to the mockup the Image field will contain both Template and Image, so until we have images, just templates are there)
- Vm Type (e.g. if server or desktop)
- OS type
(well, basically according to mockup, just without the instance type)

> B) which side-tabs in the New VM dialog will be affected by the fields in
> (A).
More or less all with some exceptions - especially thanx to the template field. And this will not change at all after introducing instance types/templates because
template = instance type + image. So the question is not really if we want to wait until the instance types and images will affect enough side tabs (because that
will not change at all) but if we want to have a top header panel or not. I personally start to think that it is more or less a question of taste.
One may argue that it makes the dialogs more understandable (by having context all the time) and other that it makes them more un-understandable by flood of information in context you don't need.
I guess either way has some advantages and disadvantages and there is no strict good/wrong solution.