[Engine-devel] Cloud-Init integration

Dan Kenigsberg danken at redhat.com
Sun Jun 16 13:05:15 UTC 2013

On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 07:35:23PM -0400, Greg Padgett wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I'd like to propose a feature we've been doing some investigation
> into, which is to integrate cloud-init support into oVirt.
>
> Cloud-init is used to help provision new Linux systems by setting
> the hostname, ip, ssh keys, timezone, injecting files, and more.
> It's used by OpenStack (amongst others) now, and has a lot of
> features that may be helpful to our users.
>
> Details are still evolving, but for more info please see the wiki page:
>
> http://www.ovirt.org/Features/Cloud-Init_Integration
>
> All feedback is welcome!

All feedback? Even if it's 3 months too late?

If so, then here's a few comments:

1. oVirt-3.2 completely supports IPv6 within guests. It would be nice to
   carry this on to cloud-init, by allowing to set the IPv6 address of
   the guest. (or are we happy with the auto configured ipv6 addresses?)

2. I think that the GUI used for setting IP addresses should be
   immitated here. It allows Static/DHCP/None, and disables the
   irrelvant fields when DHCP/None is selected.

3. Is "Support custom volume label for vm payloads" still on the TODO
   list? Note: F19's dosfstools has renamed mkfs.msdos to mkfs.fat.
   This means that creating a virtual floppy with a payload currently
   does not work there (it's a tiny fix, for sure).

4. I do not see ovirt-guest-agent mentioned in the feaure page. It is
   the obvious channel to report that cloud-init is Done to Engine.

5. When we come to implement auto-generate of system ssh key, we may
   want to install a virtio-rng device in our VMs, to ensure that the
   keys are not too easy to guess. (or create the key in the host and
   inject it to the guest)

Dan.