[Engine-devel] [ATN] moving dbscripts location

Alon Bar-Lev alonbl at redhat.com
Mon Jun 17 08:24:20 UTC 2013

Hello All,

During the work I am doing to clean up the build of upcoming 3.3, I am going to move[1] dbscripts directory from:
    backend/manager/dbscripts
to:
    packaging/dbscripts

The packaging directory is a new directory established for files we copy as-is to installation media, dbscripts was the last remaining directory of that nature. dbscripts does not really belong to the java sources nor to required for java project build (except few validation that were kept).

The packaging directory has the following advantages:

1. Simplify the build system to blindly copy files recursively from packaging to installation media.

2. Do not copy unnecessary files as we copy today, example is pom.xml.

3. Allow easy split plain files within packaging directory to sub packages in future.

4. Easier to understand the target system file layout by browsing the packaging directory, no magic of renaming or on the fly creation.

5. A clear separation between the maven build and the packaging build.

Regards,
Alon Bar-Lev.

[1] http://gerrit.ovirt.org/#/c/15743