[Engine-devel] Sorting in tabs

Lior Vernia lvernia at redhat.com
Thu Jun 27 16:15:14 UTC 2013

On 27/06/13 18:15, Einav Cohen wrote:
> [...]

I'll just give my two cents concerning this and then let others have the
stage: I don't think it really matters.

Manipulating the models directly is supposedly more portable in case we
ever move away from GWT, but we'd still have the pain of adding new
listeners to the new framework's table headers which could be just as
bad as using its sorting mechanism.

Graphically, the UI might look tighter if we use GWT's mechanism.
However, we could probably mimic everything using GWT's graphics (once
we upgrade) even if we perform the actual sorting using the tab model
and not their mechanism.

My gut feeling actually says to use GWT's built-in mechanism, mainly
because it will force us to put all sorting logic in the same place and
to always use the same sorting mechanism (whereas currently the sorting
logic is scattered and works differently in different places, even if we
use this tab mechanism other widgets will differ). But it shouldn't stop
us from setting a comparator for a tab where convenient.