[Engine-devel] SSH Soft Fencing

Dan Kenigsberg danken at redhat.com
Sun Jun 30 14:40:49 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 08:48:39AM -0400, Eli Mesika wrote:

> [...]

Would you enumerate the problems that would be solved by a vdsm restart
(on list, but on the feature page, too)?
I am aware of two issues, both are vdsm bugs:
- If libvirtd crashes, vdsm not is not restarted unless there are
  running VMs
- Vdsm had several bugs in its soft prepareForShutdown process, getting
  itself stuck there in case of various background storage processes.

I think that solving these two issues would be safer and cleaner than
introducing `ssh host service vdsmd restart` flow.

The first issue is only a matter of untangling some vdsm internal
ugliness: whenever a libvirtconnection is produced, it should be wrapped
so that it cathces libvirt crashes. Unlike now, where only VM-related
libvirtconnection undergo this treatment.

The second issue can be avoiding by vdsm resorting to kill-9-ing itself.
After all, this is what `service vdsmd restart` ends up doing after a
VERY short timeout (2-3 seconds, iicr).

I suppose that there are other reasoning for a remote restart, but in
general, I think that it's better to have Vdsm "do the right thing" than
expecting Engine to control that remotely.

Regards,
Dan.