[Engine-devel] Async Task Manager improvements

Yair Zaslavsky yzaslavs at redhat.com
Thu Mar 14 06:01:35 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Sahina Bose" <sabose at redhat.com>
> To: engine-devel at ovirt.org
> Sent: Thursday, March 14, 2013 7:53:15 AM
> Subject: Re: [Engine-devel] Async Task Manager improvements
>
> Hi Yair,
>
> Thanks for the detailed design.

Hi Sahina, we're going to change the detailed design, to be more flexible and loose coupled.

> Had some questions
>
> 1. Can we think about introducing some DI framework in the Task
> Management package. This could be used to inject the DAL, VDS Broker,
> Commons etc dependencies. Even the list of providers and
> TaskStatusEvent
> handlers could be registered using this framework.

I think that at this point it's too early to talk about DI at the new task mgmt framework, but that's a possibility.
We're aiming to a more general framework for scheduling operations + providing a mechanism to signal objects when the operations are ended.

> 2. You mention "Several providers that refer to instances of the same
> external system type have the same ProviderLogic object. " I'm not
> sure
> I understand this. Could you clarify?

This is still a draft and may change. I wanted to distinguish for example between an instance of SPM or gluster host and the logic to handle their task-related issues - so, you may have several instances of "task provider", but you have one logic per task provider type.

> 3. Will TaskManager also talk to Job entity and update/end Job if
> necessary?

Yes, this was not addressed at this point.

> 4. Are we planning to support custom actions on tasks? That is,
> depending on status of task, task can be paused/ resumed/ aborted
> /custom action performed etc

Yes, the next phase of the design we're working on will be more flexible, and you will be able to have more flexibility.