[Engine-devel] Engine config and device custom properties

Moti Asayag masayag at redhat.com
Tue May 14 09:14:14 UTC 2013

Hi Martin,

By looking at the code - there seems no validator for the format provided
by the user for the UserDefinedVMProperties.

It seems that the engine will write an exception to log specifying the format is invalid,
as the format is being validated during engine startup by
InitBackendServicesOnStartupBean.create() which invokes
VmPropertiesUtils.getInstance().init()

Therefore there is a need to validate the format in earlier stage, when setting the values
for the properties via the engine-config.

1. Extend the engine-config value helpers with a new type:
DevicePropertiesValueHelper extends org.ovirt.engine.core.config.entity.helper.ValueHelper
and also a compliant DevicePropertiesValueHelperTest

2. DevicePropertiesValueHelper.validate() should reuse the parsing logic of the device properties
from VmPropertiesUtils.parseVMPropertiesRegex()

3. Define the value helper for you new property in
packaging/etc/engine-config/engine-config.properties:

CustomDeviceProperties.description="your description"
CustomDeviceProperties.type=DevicePropertiesValueHelper

You the new install-dev to easily test you changes.

Regards,
Moti