[Engine-devel] Any reason to use UUID instead of name or dn?

Juan Hernandez jhernand at redhat.com
Wed May 22 10:35:56 UTC 2013

Hello all,

I am working on a series of changes with the objective to simplify the
LDAP layer and make it more generic. One of the things that I would like
to do is to use the name or dn attributes to identify the users/group
instead of the UUIDs as we currently do. Can someone explain me if there
is any powerful reason to use the directory specific UUIDs (objectGUID
in ActiveDirectory, nsUniqueId in RHDS, etc) instead of user/group names
or distinguished names?

Thanks in advance,
Juan Hernandez
3ºD, 28016 Madrid, Spain