[Engine-devel] Clusters with empty processor name

Vitor de Lima vitor.lima at eldorado.org.br
Thu May 23 14:37:59 UTC 2013

Hi everyone,

While I was figuring out how to implement the support for IBM POWER in the oVirt engine, I stumbled into an use case that can cause some confusion.
During the creation of a cluster, you can choose an empty processor name if you do not select the option "Enable Virt Service". As a result, it is possible to create a virtual machine inside a cluster without any attached hosts. So, if you create a VM this way, it is impossible to decide in which architecture it will run (if it is either x86-64 or POWER). Without knowing this, the engine cannot show the proper list of device models (for networks, disks, displays, ...) in the frontend.

It raises some questions:

- Why oVirt allows the creation of clusters without a processor name?
- What exactly is the "Virt Service"? Why are the processor  related checks only executed if this service is enabled?
- How can this use case be solved? Should the engine always enforce a proper CPU name in all clusters?
- If the engine enforces every cluster to have a CPU name, what should be done in the default Cluster?

Thanks,
Vitor