[Engine-devel] Permissions involved in using REST API

Jonathan Daugherty jtd at galois.com
Mon Nov 11 18:08:21 UTC 2013

> the main difference between an 'admin' and a 'user' is that admin has
> read-only permission to see all objects in the system, and a user can
> only see objects they have permissions on.

But this distinction does not apply to API access, apparently; regular
users cannot access the API at all as far as I can tell.  I wouldn't
mind giving API users 'admin' status if that's what it takes, but I'm
concerned about the meaning of 'admin' changing in the future.

I think the trouble here is that by doing it this way oVirt is presuming
what the access policy is by baking rights into the 'admin' status.  On
a site-by-site basis the definition of 'admin' is going to vary.

Thanks,

--
  Jonathan Daugherty
  Software Engineer