[Engine-devel] Things to be done to support Ubuntu hosts

Ewoud Kohl van Wijngaarden ewoud+ovirt at kohlvanwijngaarden.nl
Wed Nov 20 12:49:17 UTC 2013

On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 07:03:05AM -0500, Alon Bar-Lev wrote:
> Antoni Segura Puimedon wrote:
> > Would it make sense to leverage packagekit to abstract away the distro
> > packaging differences? http://www.packagekit.org/pk-using.html
>
> Not really... as it is egg and chicken...
> How do I install this package on vanilla host?

Plus it's still likely that package names differ. I still think some
abstraction here could help. Try some autodetection on package managers
and prefer packagekit, then try yum, then apt-get, then aptitude for
example.

> And... it does not support gentoo as far as I can see :)))

As a Gentoo user, I don't find this suprising. The whole concept of
USE-flags looks hard to abstract away and still be compatible with all
the other distributions. Especially if there's USE-dependencies in the
mix.